Monday, October 30, 2006

You Belong To Me

The memory is savage. I remember the shit like it was yesterday everytime I hear that song. It was 1991 and I was breaking up with my girlfriend. The relationship was rocky and I wanted to pursue other interests. She let me know how she felt in no uncertain terms. It was brutal. We parted ways and I started seeing the chick I wanted to see. It was a short little fling. We weren't compatible and I was done. I wanted back with Janet.

I went back to her and she was done. She started fucking my mortal enemy, this dude named Austin. I couldn't believe it. I was arrogant enough to believe I could just walk back into her life unscathed. Janet made sure I knew she was happier with her new dude. I saw her and Austin at this gig on campus and I punched that cat in the face. I got thrown out of the gig. Stewing at home I was digging through my crates just to listen to samples for this demo I was putting together.

I grabbed this Doobie Brothers album and there it was:

Why'd you tell me this
While you look for my reaction
What do you need to know
Don't you know I'll always be the one
You don't have to prove to me you're beautiful to strangers
I've got lovin' eyes of my own
You belong to me

I hear this song today and I have the same gut-wrenching reaction. Funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home