Friday, June 02, 2006

Ownership Society

I don't know how it is with other forms of music, but I've noticed how people tend to claim ownership of hip-hop. Every person I know that proclaims to be a hip-hop head relates some special relationship they have with the music. They are the connoisseurs, they know "real" hip-hop, they know what they were doing when they first heard a certain classic.

I have a friend who recently turned 30. He swears up and down that his peer group came of age when hip hop was best. I tend to believe that the "golden age" was when I was in college (approx. 1987-1994), when "Yo MTV Raps" and "Rap City" came on the air, when underground artists got airplay. My brother is 43. He believes hip-hop is his and we fucked it up. I don't know if Rock or Country inspires that type of discussion.

Hip-Hop was so ingrained in my consciousness, I used to dream "remixes". I'd have a beat in my head and apply it to songs other artists made as an alternative version to their hit in my dreams. It used to happen all the time when I was attempting to be an artist. It doesn't happen so much any more.

Hip-hop probably has the largest contingency of "artists" who are basically fans that caught a break. Cats who used to beat on cafeteria tables and freestyle over instrumentals in cars, or stand in cyphers trying to battle the next extraneous dude. We believed this hip-hop shit came out of our pores and grew organically. It was natural to chew on tree bark and wear a hot, knitted kufi on a 90 degree day.

I hear cats talk about hip-hop it's always so serious. It's often about realness and the state of the artform. Dudes would almost come to blows when discussing the merits of one group or the other. Like they were fighting for the integrity of hip-hop. I just don't know if there's other music that inspires that level of discussion or debate nearly 30 years hence.

6 Comments:

At 6/02/2006 03:03:00 PM, Blogger i like liquor and tv said...

This is so true. I don't think Country or R&B fans have as many heated discussions as hip hop fans.

Dissing someone's favorite rap group is like talking about their mama.

I rarely discuss hiphop. Probably because I rather just listen to it, than talk about it..or maybe it's because I hate hip hop nerds who swear they invented beatboxing. And I hate any discussion involving REAL hip hop vs. Commercial hip hop.

I really really hate going to hip hop shows and the MC or DJ on the stage is yelling "This is REAL hip hop, not that fake bling bling radio SH!T"...man that just irks me.

And if you've been to any shows recently, I'm sure you've heard many Laffy Taffy disses. Little Brother was dissing them hard at their show. I'm like, ok just shut up and rap.

 
At 6/02/2006 03:30:00 PM, Blogger Knockout Zed said...

@Liquor and TV
Maaaaan, everybody is self righteous about their brand of hip-hop. I'm guilty as charged. Is hip-hop just that contentious?

I was going to go home to Detroit to see Little Brother last year but they were opening for Fort Minor. I couldn't buy a ticket for Fort Minor with good conscience. See?

KZ

 
At 6/02/2006 05:01:00 PM, Blogger i like liquor and tv said...

lol...I don't really know who they are. I think I may have run across a video before tho.

I feel ya though. I hate most hip hop, but I try not to knock anyone who likes what I don't like..unless it's Jay-Z. I just don't get people's obsession with him...lol

 
At 6/03/2006 12:26:00 AM, Blogger Knockout Zed said...

@L and TV
Fort Minor is a new rap group fronted by Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park. I don't know if they suck or not, but I ain't going to see a rap-metal outfit.

 
At 8/07/2006 08:44:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

True. Most hip hop after 1994 is ass. I do like some of the new cats like Jadakiss and Red Cafe ect as I like the gangsta style and drug talk but most of these new "corporate" rappers suck.

And Jayz is one of them. What the hell is he talking about. There's no soul in his lyrics it sounds mechanical to me. The only stuff
I like by him is that "Imaginary Players" era shit.

 
At 8/14/2006 10:20:00 PM, Blogger Serious Black said...

That's so true. I hate the stuff that's out now but love all of the stuff from the early to mid 90's. The truth is that there are great MC's from every era of hip-hop. You got the Roots, Common, Talib, and Mos holding it down for the real MC's. I think one of my issues with rap today is that most MC's are afraid to say anything of value.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home