Thursday, May 25, 2006

Who's Telling Your Story?

The one thing I worry about constantly is my legacy. I worry about it so much, that I don't work on my current life, which is crazy. How good will be legacy be if I don't work on the present?

Anyway, the reason I'm thinking about this is that I was revising my resume today. I got an offer to do some consulting work in Detroit the other day. It would be on a part-time basis and would help to pad my income a bit. They needed an update resume to include it in their qualifications packet when they bid on projects.

For a dude in my field at my age, my resume is flawless. I've never made a lot of loot, but experience and responsibility wise, my resume is crack. I got to look at some of the choices I made and reflect. I lot of things I did was in response to a renewed interest in my legacy.

I made a choice when I made it out of undergrad in 1994. I wanted to create a personal and professional portfolio that would be able to help any children I had to open doors based on my reputation. This is one of the few things my father couldn't do for me and I wanted this for my children.

In the course of doing this shit, I never had the kids!!! I still volunteer for the right causes, join the right organizations, keep steady contact with the right people all for children I don't have.

The reason I worry so much is that you never know who'll be telling your story. My ex-wife will tell people I'm irresponsible and mercurial. My ex-girlfriend will call me the most driven, motivated and passionate person she knows. My boys think I'm a visionary. My professors (undergrad and grad) would call me a slacker. I keep working to get that story to an agreeable consensus. At least until it's lie I can live (or die)with.

5 Comments:

At 5/26/2006 09:49:00 PM, Blogger a.Marie said...

On the real...this was deep.

Now I'm thinking too....what will my legacy be.

 
At 5/30/2006 03:34:00 AM, Blogger Blah Blah Blah said...

You once called me mecurial...
As a. marie...I wonder what my legacy will be. I have not thought about it...suppose I am too old to start now....

 
At 5/31/2006 10:30:00 AM, Blogger Little Brown Girl said...

No legacy...yup thats my biggest fear! And I don't even know if I want children or not. I'll be going into my grave and my nieces and nephews will be telling my story...SAD SHYT HUNH???

 
At 6/09/2006 10:42:00 AM, Blogger Disco said...

well said munkee..... you know...you and I are twins....fraternal that is.. :-)

 
At 6/09/2006 01:13:00 PM, Blogger Honest said...

Sometimes the best person to tell your story is yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home