Monday, November 27, 2006

Swagger For Sale

I think it's healthy to admit one's addictions. My biggest one (yes, there are more) has got to be gear, fits, clothes. I'm constantly looking for new wears, especially work clothes. This weekend I bought a new suit, a gray pinstiped number. This store is going out of business so their shit was extra cheap. So for a big dude like me (58 long) to find a suit for $125, I was feeling pretty good about myself.

It's really noteable that I can't stop buying suits when most people know that I hate suits. It's the uniform. I really need to make myself confortable in suits so that I can project my authority in the workplace. I could dress like my boss. I could be in a city logoed oxford shirt with khakis daily. But that shit REALLY looks like a uniform. They say you should dress for the job you want not for the job you have, and I take that to heart. I used to dress like a freelance writer. Now I dress like a corporate asshole, even though I'd rather be a writer. I think the gear helps me think in a more linear, systemic fashion as opposed to my willy nilly actual way of thinking.

I'll keep dressing like a corporate tool, while trying to fend off the mindset. It won't be easy, but I'm trying.

3 Comments:

At 11/27/2006 12:04:00 PM, Blogger Dee said...

why does corporate have to automatically mean asshole?
come on
some of us are reaching for corporate here. End of year bonus, business cards. Hotel rather than motel rooms. You can't beat that with a stick.

 
At 11/27/2006 02:05:00 PM, Blogger chele said...

I dressed 'corporate' for years. I'm used to it, however, now I'm in an environment where everyone wears jeans everyday ... I can't do it. I'm a little more casual than I used to be but I still save the jeans for Friday. It is truly about the job you want not the one you have.

 
At 11/28/2006 12:27:00 PM, Blogger Knockout Zed said...

@GC
"Corporate" is pretty much synonymous with "asshole". To quote Prince in "The Beautiful Ones", "always, every time".

@Chele
Jeans? Perfectly rounded ass? I'll be there on Friday!

KZ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home